Canon's RF 50mm f/1.2L is a spectacular lens that has garnered a lot of praise, but at over $2,000, it is extremely expensive and likely overkill for a lot of photographers. Canon also has the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM, however, giving photographers a much more affordable option, and this great video review takes a look at the kind of performance you can expect from it in practice.
Coming to you from Dustin Abbott, this awesome video review takes a look at the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM mirrorless lens. Even though the 50mm f/1.8 is far more affordable than its f/1.2L cousin, it still comes with a variety of useful features, including:
- Single precision-molded aspherical element for less distortion and increased sharpness
- STM stepping motor for fast autofocus that is also quiet enough for video work
- Super Spectra coating for less flares and ghosting and better contrast
- Customizable Control Ring for changing aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm for smoother bokeh
Certainly, the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is not going to outperform the RF 50mm f/1.2L, but it offers rather impressive performance for its price and looks like quite a versatile option for a variety of genres. Check out the video above for Abbott's full thoughts.